If you are non-profit organization attempting to assist a veteran that is experiencing homelessness obtain a free ID, see below for more information.

In Arizona, Veterans experiencing homelessness are able to obtain a duplicate or first time ID or Driver’s License at no cost (See ADOT Press Release).

Current AZ Veterans that have already established their veteran status must provide documentation from a homeless service provider or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs that verifies the person’s homeless status within the past 60 days. Veterans that have not yet established identification in the state of Arizona will need to provide one of the documents listed below in addition to the documentation verifying homelessness as well as providing any additional documents needed to prove identity (See ADOT’s requirements).

Veteran Designation Documentation

      • Original or copy of the customer’s DD214, 215, 2 (Retired), 2 (Reserve), DD217
      • Active duty military identification card (also known as the United States Uniformed Services Identification Card or the Armed Forces of the United States Geneva Conventions Identification Card)
      • Inactive duty card
      • Original Statement of Honorable Service from the Department of Veteran Affairs or Arizona Department of Veteran’s Services.
      • Certificate of Honorable Discharge
      • American Legion card
      • Disabled American Veteran card
      • Military Officers of America card
      • Veterans Administration Medical card
      • Veterans of Foreign Wars card
      • Military Order of the Purple Heart
      • Vietnam Veterans of America card
    • A sample of a letter your organization can use is provided below, make sure to print it on your organization’s letterhead: